Pages

Swedish animator working in Stockholm.

Wednesday 12 February 2014

Muku Shuttr Review

Lately, I've been growing more and more tired of the tedious process of recording reference for animations. My dream would be to have a room with a two-camera setup that would record simultaneously, and have it uploaded and edited to my preferences by the time I'm back at the computer, but oh well...

I have found one product that made my life quite a bit easier though. As I haven't seen any reviews for this product from an animator point of view yet, I thought I'd write it myself.

The product I decided to buy was a remote shutter for iOS and Android by the name of Muku Shuttr.


Muku Shuttr had a pretty successful Kickstarter a while back, and can now be bought through Amazon and Trycelery.

It's very small, as you can see above I attached it to my keychain for easy access. On the left side is a switch for OS (iOS or Android), and on the left is the power switch. There's only one button on it, I think it's pretty obvious what it's for.

Setting it up is easy, providing you have the right device. Any Apple products with iOS 5.0+ and the newer products of the Samsung Galaxy line won't require any third-party software. Just activate the shutter, connect to it through bluetooth, and you're good to go. There's a couple more devices it works on, including a few Nexus ones, but you would need to install a camera app.

I tried using it with my Samsung Galaxy S4, and iPad 3. A downside to Muku Shuttr is that since it only has one physical button, it will favor taking a photograph over a video if both buttons are available in the camera app. This is not a problem on the iPad, since you switch between photography and video recording mode in the sidebar. However on Android it turned into a bit of headache, as the inherent camera app has the two buttons side by side, and Muku Shuttr rarely works with third-party apps (there's a list on their webpage of what apps it is compatible with)

After a bit of looking around, I found that there is a camcorder installed per default on Android, it just doesn't have a shortcut. A quick look through Google Play gave me an app that gave me easy access to it. Problem solved!


Of course I had to take a photo of Muku Shuttr, using Muku Shuttr. :)

I haven't really had time to try this thing out for real yet, but so far I'm very happy with it. The battery is supposed to last 2 years if you always turn it off after using, I just hope that it will survive for that long in my bag with my keys...

0 comments :

Post a Comment